2017년 12월 21일 목요일

[Day 41] Economy

[Day 41] Economy

I had previously seen the snakes in frosty mornings in my path with portions of their bodies still numb and inflexible, waiting for the sun to thaw them.

On the 1st of April it rained and melted the ice, and in the early part of the day, which was very foggy, I heard a stray goose groping about over the pond and cackling as if lost, or like the spirit of the fog.

4월의 첫날, 비가 내려 (호수의) 얼음을 녹였다.짙은 안개로 아침이 시작되었을 때, 외톨이 (a stray, 떠돌다) 거위가 호수위에 떠돌며(groping, 노심초사하는) 마치 길을 잃은 듯, 혹은 안개의 정령(spirits)이라도 된 듯이 끼룩 거리(cackling)는소리를 들었다.

* cackling factory: 정신병원


So I went on for some days cutting and hewing timber, and also studs and rafters, all with my narrow axe, not having many communicable or scholar-like thoughts, singing to myself,—

    Men say they know many things;
       인간은  많은걸 안다고 말하지만,
    But lo! They have taken wings,—
       보라! 그들은 날개를 취해 왔을뿐 이라는 것을
    The arts and sciences,
        예술과 과학
    And a thousand appliances;
        그리고 수많은 도구들
    The wind that blows
        바람이 날려버린 것들
    Is all that any body knows.
        그것은 모두 누구나 알고 있던것 아니었더냐

* 인간이 안다고 자랑 하는 것들은 모두 바람에 날려갈 깃털 일 뿐이다.
* 소로우의 자작시로 추정됨


I hewed the main timbers six inches square, most of the studs on two sides only, and the rafters and floor timbers on one side, leaving the rest of the bark on, so that they were just as straight and much stronger than sawed ones.

Each stick was carefully mortised or tenoned by its stump, for I had borrowed other tools by this time.

My days in the woods were not very long ones; yet I usually carried my dinner of bread and butter, and read the newspaper in which it was wrapped, at noon, sitting amid the green pine boughs which I had cut off, and to my bread was imparted some of their fragrance, for my hands were covered with a thick coat of pitch.

Before I had done I was more the friend than the foe of the pine tree, though I had cut down some of them, having become better acquainted with it.

Sometimes a rambler in the wood was attracted by the sound of my axe, and we chatted pleasantly over the chips which I had made.

가끔 숲의 떠돌이(산짐승)가 나의 도끼소리에 이끌려와서 내가 만들어낸 도끼밥 넘어로 즐거운 대화를 나누곤 했다.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기